[pct-l] Shepherd Pass alternate

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Wed Jul 20 10:24:42 CDT 2022

If you have the time and the strenth and can get the permit -

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/high-sierra-trail.htm

The High Sierra Trail is a truly classic hike by all accounts.

I've only been as far as Bearpaw Meadow, though, and time has taken its toll
and I don't think I could do the whole HST now.
Then after you get to the PCT, you have to get out somehow.
A three day backpack is about as much as I dare now - 40 miles at most.

There's a famous hot tub near the Kern River, to take some of the pain out
from going down into the canyon and back up.

https://www.summitpost.org/high-sierra-trail-kern-hot-springs/845641

But avoid climbing the Kaweahs in the Great Western Divide.   I've known a
couple of people who got hurt there.  Rotten rock I guess.