[pct-l] Shepherd Pass alternate

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Wed Jul 20 08:16:52 CDT 2022

I'm not sure how well this got out, so I'll give it another try for Susan:

> From: Susan Virnig <susan at newstories.org>
> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 14:53:56 -0700
>
> I=E2=80=99m a section hiker from Spokane and you all have been very helpful=
>  in the
> past.  I=E2=80=99m trying to get into the PCT around mile 775 by Tyndall Cr=
> eek, to
> have a continuous connection.  (Last year left via Shepherd Pass, which is
> a crazy trail =E2=80=94 9000=E2=80=99 elevation gain/loss in 6 miles.)
>
> Currently have a permit to go back into Shepherd Pass, but am wondering if
> there is a way from the west to get back up to the PCT that is not quite so
> steep and hopefully better maintained.  Any suggestions?
>
> =E2=80=94Sunshine/Susan from Spokane

The desert passes from the east side are all bad news.

Besides Shepherd, there's Taboose, Baxter, and Sawmill.   I've only done
Taboose, and only downhill.    Never again.    Baxter is not maintained
at all, I think.    Shepherd is mostly used by mountaineers hoping for
Mt Williamson, I think.     The upside is that nobody will be checking
wilderness permits on any of these routes, I think.

You could get to Tyndall Creek from the west side, but it would take a
very long time.   The High Sierra Trail from Crescent Meadow is 50
miles to the PCT.   I am away from home and don't have maps handy to see
if you can do much better from another west side trailhead.   A Mt Whitney
permit, if you can get one, would be easier.