[pct-l] Ice Axe

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Mar 7 16:59:58 CST 2017

Hi, Rick (and Logboy),

Regarding ice axe sizing, logboy did just great!

Regarding the need for a self-arrest tool, you assume correctly for this year in both SoCal and throughout the PCT, wherever steep snow may be found. You can slip and fall on a patch of steep snow and tumble into a tree, boulders, a creek or lake, or off a cliff up in the PNW, so you should have such a tool in hand whenever on any size of steep snow.

Can you identify risk ahead, though? Most thru hikers thoughts during the day are not considering dangers ahead as much as the next hamburger ahead. If you carry an axe, it will be strapped to your pack most of the time until you see a condition ahead that alerts you to stop and assess it before going on. If you don't know how to identify risky snow conditions and situations, you won't be thinking this way and will likely stride on until you slip and fall. Your axe can do you no good strapped to your pack as you tumble down the slope.

(I know you guys know I'm going to say this:) However, a self-arrest pole, like the Black Diamond Whippet, is always in your hand and ready to be deployed as a self-arrest tool the moment you slip and fall. All you've got to know how to do is self-arrest reflexively. It's in your hand and not on your back. It helps you maintain your balance so you don't slip and fall. Your arms get used to swinging it. Invented for ski-touring, it is perfect for snow-hiking!

It is becoming obvious that PCT thru hikers this year will be walking into steep snow situations in several places in SoCal, so start out with a Whippet and Microspikes. I'm not a fan of chain-designed traction control devices unless you can be certain that you'll be walking in a boot-track, someone else's footprints in the snow on steep traverses, then they're just fine.

Did that help?

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
ned at mountaineducation.org