[pct-l] Ice Axe

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Wed Mar 8 10:49:17 CST 2017

Many years ago I was hiking the loop from South Lake to North Lake near Bishop. I can't recall the name of the cross-country pass we were ascending that would take us into North Lake, but near the top the snow broke out from under my feet. I did have an ice axe, but because there was a large dry patch below me I slid for 15 feet into the patch and stopped without needing to self-arrest. It is shocking just how fast you are suddenly moving down sloop after a slip. Had I not been able to stop by one means or another, I would have been shot out into an icy pond way, way below us. This year in particular, thru hikers need to know how to self-arrest so that the technique is reflexive.

I used the Whippet hiking the Tetons several years ago. Fair warning, it is heavier than most trekking poles, does not shorten up as easily, and is just a bit more awkward on traditional trail. However, always having it in hand is well worth the trade-off and you do get used to its quirks.

Like first aid, one hopes that self-arrest devices turn out to be unnecessary weight. But when needed, they save lives and reduce injury.

Herb