[pct-l] Belden to Old Station

Susan Virnig susan at newstories.org
Mon Jun 12 12:32:00 CDT 2017

Does anyone know anything about the 90 miles of Section N from Belden to Old Station thru Lassen?  Elevation gets to 7000 at Frog Mountain Trail, then back to nearly 7200 at Butte Point Trail and then 7600 at Butt Mountain Trail.  Just talked to the Lassen Park ranger and he said there’s some snow on the PCT in the park but some hikers have already been through, and there’s not too many downed trees.  He doesn’t know anything about the rest of the trail.

I’m a section hiker who’s walked the PCT from Old Station to Manning Provincial Park and was hoping to get this section done next, starting on June 20, but don’t want to be foolish.  I’m taking a friend who’s done some other northern CA sections with me.  Should we be using micro-spikes on our trail runners?  Do we need ax ices?  Or should we just not do this section at this time?  (We can’t go later.)

—Susan from Spokane aka Sunshine