[pct-l] Belden to Old Station

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Mon Jun 12 15:17:14 CDT 2017

I don’t have current info, but for what is it worth, I hiked SB last year in mid/late June from Castle Crags to Chester. The Lassen section had snow, but it does not have steep passes with nerve-jangling traverses that would demand an ice axe. I didn't need traction devices, but of course way less snow last year. I think the main issue will be navigation. Even in last year's relatively light snow we had to hunt and peck for the trail for a few miles when the trail goes through a thick forest. I do recall a water crossing that was harder to do than it looked somewhere near Drakesbad.

By the way, if you can manage it in your schedule try to have a dinner or breakfast at Drakesbad. We had a fantastic breakfast out on the patio and they were very hiker friendly. You have to make reservations, which complicates the logistics, but if you stay in the campground just up the dirt road and shoot over to the resort you might be able to make the list. People were telling me for a 100 miles about how great the food was, and the resort did not disappoint. I think you can buy a shower there but it might be limited to certain times in the day. Really pretty place--I intend to go back there sometime and stay as a guest. Note, however there is no store to resupply from or buy snacks.

Herb