[pct-l] hanging food

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Sat Jan 28 14:37:50 CST 2017

For what it's worth, on my 2016 thru-hike, I saw literally zero proper
bear hangs.  A few people tried, but seeing a PCT hiker doing a bear
hang of any kind was a rare occurrence.  I saw a couple of determined
hikers do a counterbalance hang just north of Sierra City that was
almost right, but too close to the trunk (the branch wasn't long
enough), and too close to the campsite (about 50 feet).  That was by far
the best one I saw.  So bear bagging is not a common practice on the
PCT, so far as I can tell.

The vast majority of hangs I did see were from weekenders at
heavily-used campsites, with hangs much too low, and tied to the trunk.
I saw one hang that was a plastic shopping bag, tied to a branch by its
handles, about 6 feet off the ground.

I started my hike with the intention of getting some practice with the
Skilman hang, and I carried gear for it the whole way.  But it seems
that the areas with bears are also areas with no trees suitable for
hanging.  For example, in sugar pine forests, with only short,
downward-sloped branches, starting 50 feet off the ground.

I ended up keeping my food in an Opsak, which itself was inside a trash
compactor bag, inside my backpack, in my vestibule.  I was careful to
not drop crumbs, and I had no animal problems throughout the hike.

My sister took the same approach, but was not so careful about dropping
food, and a mouse burrowed into her tent to retrieve some stray
sunflower seeds in northern Washington.  So, I'm guessing that making
sure to not drop food is much more important than hanging your food.
Which makes sense -- it would be easier for an animal to smell food
that's loose on the ground than in an Opsak.

Now, I'm sure my Opsak was not perfectly scentproof -- after any kind of
use, they develop tiny holes.  But, my way of thinking is, while it may
be possible for animals to smell the food inside, it reduces the risk a
whole lot.

 -=Marcus