[pct-l] hanging food

Drew Smith jdrewsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 11:41:26 CST 2017

+1 on everything Stephen said. Here in CO, most trees are not well-suited
for an effective hang. But our bears are more shy and less aggressive than
Yosemite bears and people delude themselves into thinking that they have
done a good job hanging when they have not.

The other delusional practice I have noted on the PCT is leaving your bear
canister in camp. Sure your food is secure. But the odors will still
attract bears, and you will end up with a frustrated hungry bruin right
outside your tent. This does not seem wise to me.