[pct-l] Disposing of Permithrin ///Re: Pct-L Digest, Vol 99, Issue 1

Luce Cruz lucecruz13 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 23:40:45 CST 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 1:36 PM, <TBrokaw at montmush.com> wrote:

> I assumed we weren't talking about a few grams?  In any case, dumping
> insecticide down the sewer (in any quantity) is irresponsible in the
> extreme.

Not according to ...

The folks that run the POTW that my sewer line connected to.

But I suppose they really don't know anything about this stuff after having
a week to try to help me figure out what to do with it, and then having the
presence of mind to call me back and advise me as they did. They said that
0.5% permethrin and water wasn't reportable, wasn't toxic unless directly
ingested, and should be poured out on the ground where it will be taken
care of by sol microbes.

If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it. Seriously.

Now, you're starting to call me and others irresponsible. I'd like to point
out that is just your opinion, since you can't or don't want to put up
links to the information you claim you've gotten that could be the exact
opposite of what I did. Back it up, or pack it up, buttercup.

I have also said more than once that if anyone has any evidence that I am
wrong, I would like to see it. Opinions aren't evidence.

I like to learn how to do things the right way. I like to see evidence. It
teaches me, and changes my old thinking or corrects information I may have
gotten somewhere else.

I haven't seen much other than an attitude that is more sanctimonious than,
admittedly, my own.

So let's drop it util someone has some evidence that the 0.5% solution I
poured down the toilet was an irresponsible environmental disaster. It's
really boiling down to a sludge of claims being made of polar opposite
conclusions, and since I am not willing to move towards some gray area
anywhere near the middle because I believe strongly that I did my due
diligence and the county sewer department did theirs, that I acted, at the
very least, under the advisement of the folks that wold have to deal with
the chemicals once they reached the POTW.

And don't forget, someone claiming to be a toxicologist has chimed in on
the matter. And that opinion matters more than uninformed and unproven
righteousness. (I apologize to the person that chimed in claiming to be a
toxicologist, but I'm sure you understand that since we don't know each
other and I will not ask for your credentials that I can only assume you
are working in the field you claim to be in, and mean no harm. I don't
intend to be any more toxic about this than I believe I need to be).

I thought living an evidence based life would be easier. Well, I was wrong.
It's noisier than blissful ignorance ever was.

Dropping this particular issue completely now until someone gets the best
of me, at which time I will graciously concede that I was wrong (no,
really, I will if you can prove it),

Luce Cruz