[pct-l] SOBO Section: Ashland to Walker Pass

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 00:24:41 CST 2015

Hey there Special K.  So good to hear from you all the way back there in
Chicago!  And thanks for all the years of wonderful Trail Angeling when you
were in Idyllwild.  Man do I remember that incredible taco bar you used to
create!!!

May 27th is still very early in a normal or high snow year to go through
that section.  In a low snow year it could be fine.  In 2010, a high snow
year, a number of folks jumped north to avoid the very snowy High Sierra,
only to find a trail they couldn't follow in the snowy forests south of
Castle Crags.  That was in the first two weeks in June.  Some friends made
it through going south and we nobos met them in Desolation Wilderness near
Tahoe in mid to late July.  Others did not make it and turned around having
completely lost the trail in the snow.  One person went 50 miles south only
to turn around in utter desperation at the deep snow.

So, it's again, all about the weather and what it looks like come mid to
late May.  It could be cold, but a nice walk, or it could be still deep in
snow.  Keep your plans flexible as I know you can.  And however the weather
goes, have a wonderful hike.  So good to see you still heading out there!

Thanks again for the help when I hiked through.

Shroomer