[pct-l] Allergies

Dan McKean danlmarmot at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 22:24:37 CST 2015

Well... it depends.  I have pretty bad allergies as well, and take Allegra,
which keeps them mostly under control, but at least once a day I'll get the
red eyes.  I've lived most my life in southern California.

The southern California sections really vary in altitude.  Lower altitudes
below, oh, 5000 feet you'll get lots of oak species--both tree oaks and
scrub oak--and a few other species here and there like walnut (my worst
trigger but thankfully not common!) and cottonwoods and sycamore.  Higher
up you'll get conifers--pines and junipers and firs.  Everywhere there's
grass, even in the desert sections.  The trail definitely goes up and
down--sometimes low altitudes will be great in April because all the oaks
are finished, sometimes it'll be cold late into April so some conifers will
be spewing out their green-yellow pollen everywhere.

Oh, and humidity is pretty low everywhere in the springtime, which seems to
start sometime in mid February here when the springtime wildflowers start
blooming and ends around the end of April when the green grassy hills turn
golden brown.  I'm usually on my allergy pills from Valentine's Day until
April 1st.

I'd say just push on through.  Because you're going through so many changes
of environment, from chaparral to desert to alpine to woodland to forest
and back, you might be miserable one day--but that'll change in a day or
two and things will often get better.

Dan in San Diego