[pct-l] Neoprene socks

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 08:18:18 CST 2015

You're right on the money Stephen.  I train with folks during the winter
storms in the Bay Area hills (that is when we get storms) just so they can
get the feel of hiking wet and get used to it in their gear.  Some socks
will slip down into your shoes and become useless when they get wet.  I've
ended up taking these loose socks off and hiking with no socks at all when
this happens.  But it's good to know up front.

Walking wet in lightweight shoes is not as bad as it sounds, even in snow
during the spring conditions of the High Sierra.  When you cross an ice
water stream, it's so cold it hurts.  But when you get to the far bank and
climb out of the water, your feet actually feel hot for a few moments as
the ambient air temp is so much warmer.  Then the key is to not stop long
enough to get cold.  You just keep going and amazingly your feet actually
stay warm even though they are wet, you're walking in snow, and they're
simply made of lightweight mesh.  And as Stephen says, light weight shoes
dry really fast.

All through the Sierra in a high snow year we were crossing streams in our
trail runners many times a day, and no one had any problems with their
shoes or feet.  Once we got north of Tahoe however, the temps warmed up and
although we were still wet, we weren't on snow anymore.  By Sierra City and
just beyond, everyone in my bunch started getting trench foot.  You'd take
off your shoe and you whole foot would look like a lobster.  Really scary
when it happened to me at Sierra City.  I thought I would have to come off
trail it was so bad.  One overnight off trail with me feet covered in
Tinactin was all it took to start the healing however and I was able to
hike on.  Some in my group had to use the cream and then powder their shoes
with anti fungal stuff to get it under control.  Most of us carried the
cream from then on.  The only thing I can think is that it was the wet and
warm temps that brought it on.  When we were on snow and constantly washing
our feet in icy streams in the southern Sierra, it was not an issue.  With
a non breathable, neoprene sock, you're creating those wet and warm
conditions and it might cause problems.  But walking wet is usually not an
issue in lightweight shoes if you're used to it.  Just carry some kind of
anti fungal cream if the temperature rises.

Have a wonderful hike,

Shroomer