[pct-l] Neoprene socks

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 08:29:16 CST 2015

I used neoprene socks in the Sierra last year.  In late May there was a
surprise storm that dumped 1-2 feet of fresh snow.  I had to wait it out in
Lone Pine and purchased the neoprene socks there.  I was thankful I did.  I
climbed Whitney at night in fresh snow with some friends to see the sunrise.
My toes were quite numb by the time I got to the top.  (I literally couldn't
feel them.)  I put on the neoprene socks at the top and they made a big
difference.  At some of the passes (particularly Muir) there were miles of
snow field to cross with streams to cross along the way.  My shoes were icy
wet for several hours for 3-4 days.  The neoprene socks were very welcome
for that stretch and I sent them home at Tuolumne Meadows.

If the Sierras are relatively dry this year when you arrive at Kennedy
Meadows, I wouldn't bother.

Timberline