[pct-l] Waterlogged

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 11:24:37 CST 2014

Excellent article and summation of a much longer work.  This should be
basic reading for all those heading out into the deserts this year.  It
really questions some of the basic dogmas on heat, long term exertion and
the need for water and salt that we've all grown up with.  I've included a
few of the ideas from the article that the Doctor, who is an
ultramarathoner, challenges from the start.  The article has a lot more of
the book in it to explain these assertions.  Much of it makes complete
sense to me from my own long hikes in desert heat.  Basically he's saying
that we have many evolutionarily built in regulatory functions already for
preserving us from dehydration, and we've been over thinking this for a
long time, attempting to fix basic human physiology when it didn't need
fixing.  This may be the book that is to thirst and electrolytes what Born
to Run was for feet, running and walking.  The damage that Nike has done to
our feet, may be similarly occurring to our innate hydration mechanisms by
the likes of Gatorade and so many more.  There's big money in selling
products we don't need.  Listening to our basic urges and cravings is more
important than drinking on a schedule or over salting our diets.  It would
appear that "less is more" in this case as well.

If you're thirsty and water tastes good, drink!  And from my own experience
I'd add for newer hikers, If you've been drinking plenty and you're
starting to experience heat exhaustion, feeling sick to your stomach or
fluish, you might want to pour the water on your head and not just keep
drinking it.  Use every water source in desert conditions to wet your
clothes and hat and get under a bush in some shade if it doesn't improve.
 Use an umbrella.  Our walking exertion brings up our core temp and in hot
weather that can be too much.

On a Habitat for Humanity build in El Salvador in Feb. several years ago,
we had lots of people drinking plenty, but nearly passing out or thinking
they had an intestinal ailment while working in the heat, mixing cement in
the tropics.  After assuring them that they were not sick and to the women
that I wasn't being prurient, I'd turn the hose on them.  We instituted wet
t shirt parties every day!  Relief was instantaneous in every case.  People
on the verge of passing out would immediately say, "Wow, I feel fine!"
 Cooling their skin was much more important than drinking more fluids.

Shroomer

Here's some highlights from the article to get you questioning, arguing or
simply thinking:

Drink only to thirst, not on a schedule.
Drinking does not prevent heat illness.
Ingesting salt is unnecessary in ultras.
Urine frequency or color has nothing to do with hydration or kidney
function.

*The Role of Hydration and Performance*

   - *Dogma: In order to ensure optimal performance and/or survive
   endurance events, one must replace all lost fluids by drinking during the
   event.*
   - *Science: Fluid (and weight) loss during endurance exercise is normal,
   if not optimal.*

*Hydration and Thermoregulation*

   - *Dogma: We must drink water in order to prevent heat illness during
   exercise in hot conditions.*
   - *Science: There is no relationship between fluid intake and hydration,
   and the incidence of heat exhaustion or heatstroke. The only correlate to
   core temperature is running pace.*

*Sodium Balance and Performance*

   - *Dogma: We need to supplement with sodium to complete long-distance
   endurance events.*
   - *Science: The body self-regulates blood sodium concentration via
   several mechanisms, including sodium sparing in sweat and urine. When one
   "drinks to thirst," blood sodium concentration invariably rises during
   prolonged exercise; it never falls.*

   - *Dogma: Heavy sodium concentrations in sweat - evidenced by
   salt-staining on skin and clothing - identifies a person as a "salty
   sweater", and that these people need even more sodium supplementation.*
   - *Science: The self-regulation of sodium concentration results in
   sodium excesses being secreted; salty secretions will cease when sodium
   balance is achieved.*

   - *Dogma: Sodium supplementation stops and prevents Exercise-Associated
   Muscle Cramping (EAMC)*
   - *Science: There is no scientific evidence that shows sodium (or other
   electrolyte) deficits in those with muscle cramping.*

*Anti-Diuretic Hormone - the Lynch Pin in Hyponatremic Illness and Death*

   - *Dogma: The frequency and color of my urine will tell me whether or
   not I am adequately hydrated; I should continue to drink after exercise
   until I am able to urinate - to ensure optimal hydration and kidney
   function.*
   - *Science: The presence of excessive anti-diuretic hormone during
   exercises - referred to as Syndrome of Inappropriate ADH (SIADH) secretion
   - can cause overt fluid retention and resulting in concentrated or complete
   lack of urine, despite severe overhydration and hyponatremia.*