[pct-l] PCT Elevation gain/loss Stats

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 16:19:43 CST 2014

There is no "definitive" number.  If you take all the elevation gains/losses at every mile, that will NOT add up to the gains/losses from every half mile.  Why?  Because between each data point there are numerous ups and downs that are not captured. For example, you drop 200 feet, but if you regain it before the next data point, the total will show zero loss or gain. (You ended at the same elevation you started at.) Other things being equal, the finer the resolution the higher will be the gains and losses.  I am assuming HalfMile's resolution is once every half mile since he was a waypoint recorded there. Are the other data sets finer?  Don't know...  Anyway, the point is, it is a squishy number.

Timberline