[pct-l] PCT Elevation gain/loss Stats

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 03:16:24 CST 2014

Using Halfmile's untrimmed track files, I came up with 649,181 feet of
elevation gain and 648,156 feet of elevation loss in Garmin Basecamp.  Part
of that data was verified in Excel.

As you may know, his data points are far closer together than a half mile,
but  vary between ~10 feet apart and hundreds of feet apart.  He could have
turned up the track point recording frequency on his gps, but his gps
device is probably consumer grade, so it isn't going to be very accurate or
precise anyway.  Unless someone gets out there with professional grade
hardware, we're not going to get much more reliable results.