[pct-l] Hard Dirt

Marvin and Shirley Barg barg at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 10 12:57:46 CST 2014

PCT - Hard Dirt?

To: <pct-l at backcountry.net <mailto:pct-l at backcountry.net> >

<mailto:006101cf25d3$43ce6280$cb6b2780$@gmail.com> >

I just got a new tent & took it down to the park to check it out & practice
setting it up. Wow! Was it ever difficult to get those tent stakes into the
ground. We've had no rain here in a very long time, as is the case for most
of the PCT. Is driving tent stakes likely to be a common problem? I'm
thinking about taking a 5 in. tile roofing nail to use to create most of the
stake hole, putting the tent stake in that and then driving it the last inch
or so.  -Walljito

Walljito, for my tent, I've replaced one of my titanium shepherd pegs with a
5 to 6 " titanium nail peg such as is available from Vargo. Can also double
as a cat hole digger. -Grampa Kilt