[pct-l] Powerhouse Fire route

Marian Harmon marianharmon at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 02:09:15 CST 2014

That point noted on Google Maps by Kevin is at the northern end of Godde
Pass. The PCTA map is showing the alternate route heading down Godde Pass
before a long aqueduct walk. Just a warning to any hikers taking that road
or in that area.... be VERY careful. That road is infamous for accidents
and idiot drunk drivers. I grew up in that area, even learned to drive
using that road... so I know it pretty well. I would never hike over Godde
Pass on the road itself. That's just me... but no way would I walk on that
road. I would hike miles out of my way to avoid it.Again, just a personal
opinion... but if you do it, keep your eyes and ears wide open.

Also, if you're in that area and desperate for water... don't risk the
aqueduct. The current is just too dangerous. That area at Godde Pass and
the aqueduct is just above a residential area, and not too far from a
shopping center, maybe 2-3 miles tops. Head south to Avenue N and then east
(right) toward 50th St West. You'll find an Albertsons, Walgreens and
multiple fast food joints among other shops. From there, you might even be
able to head a few more miles east to the mall in Palmdale, and several
sporting supply stores in that area, even a super WalMart and such.
Seriously... it's not worth risking your life. Just head a couple miles to
the east and you'll have access to anything you might need for water and
resupply. There is even a bus stop at 50th W and Ave N that will take you
toward the mall. (See: Antelope Valley Transit Authority). That is, of
course if you take that route. Once you get in to Palmdale/Quartz
Hill,there, you have tons of options available...it just depends on your
needs.

Honestly, though? UGH... why take that alternate route when you will still
end up walking an even more miserable uphill climb along the covered
portion of the aqueduct, too? No thanks... just my opinion, but unless you
need to head in to Palmdale or Lancaster for supplies, stay on Elizabeth
Lake Rd (it's paved) and walk past the lakes and through the little
mountain communities instead. If you take Three Points down the mountain,
keep your eyes open for all of the hilarious signs posted by the land
owners. Not sure why, but all the warning signs about electronic
surveillance in the most random areas make me laugh. However... if you do
take Three Points, don't try to stealth camp and don't trespass... the
signs are funny, but they are serious about trespassers.

Just me... but I'd do the road walk on ELR across Pine Canyon to the PCT.
Also stop at the Rock Inn. The Rock Inn is a pretty (in)famous biker bar
and I believe they have a couple of rooms they rent out, but it's been a
while since I was there, so I don't know for sure if they do that anymore.
Old time locals should be very welcoming to thru hikers, since the area
used to be part of the official PCT a long time ago. You're also more
likely to get assistance if you need it up there than if you head down to
the other side of the hill in to Lancaster/Palmdale.

Hopefully, like Kevin said, this won't even be an issue if the closure
order expires as scheduled on the 28th.