[pct-l] Question on daily miles. What is a good daily average

-Mountain Goat- themtgoat at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 01:51:16 CST 2014

The High Sierra tends to slow you down, on 3 accounts. I thru hiked the PCT 2005, and averaged
about 17 miles a day to Yosemite, but was able to pick up the pace after that.

1. Snow slows you down. If we don't have much snow this year, you will be able to do more miles in a day.

2. Elevation - Your anywhere from 7000-13200' (or so). Being above 10,000' slows you down, because
it is harder to get enough oxygen.

3. Elevation Change - lots of up hill, will also slow you down. Not only are we really high on this
section, but doing 3000-4000' is fairly likely each day.

With that said, I re-did the trail from trail pass to Yosemite in 2012, a dry year, and managed 20 miles a
day, with virtually no snow pack.

North of Sonora Pass, you will probably find you can accelerate your pace...

-Mountain Goat-