[pct-l] Ursack S29 a step closer...

Luce Cruz lucecruz13 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 23:10:01 CDT 2014

On Apr 19, 2014 8:57 PM, "Gail Van Velzer" <vanvelzer at charter.net> wrote:

> It is true that everything in the Ursak can be crushed.  It's also true
that
> the bear canister can be used as a seat or table.  But, the Ursak still
> packs easier and is lighter.  There's got to be a way to hang it and
> confound the bears!  They can't be that smart, can they?

There's a video on YouTube of a bear hanging from a food bag hang line up
about 8-10 feet off the ground and sliding over towards the food bag. In
the video, the bear drops of before it gets the food bag, but this is just
one instance. It might not take long before many or even most are trying
this.

Let's say the rope breaks when the bruin tries to slide over to the food
bag. You now very likely have crushed food, congratulations! If the rope
doesn't break, the bear might still get the bag in its mouth. You now will
have crushed food, congratulations!

I won't even talk about trying to get your food back from a bear that can
smell and taste food, but isn't ingesting any of it through the bag, or the
bear slobber.

In my opinion, worth less than you could ever pay for it, the best
protection for your food, and the bear, is a bear resistant canister or on
site metal food locker. Using anything else is a riskier choice, for your
food and the bear. Personally, I'll choose a can, and maybe save a life.

Luce Cruz