[pct-l] Hiking shoes & Inserts

Jeffrey Olson jjolson60 at centurylink.net
Wed Sep 25 09:56:38 CDT 2013

I'll second this.  Ray Jardine made the point that the quality of the
shoe didn't matter as you aren't carrying a lot of weight.  It was fit
that matters.  I can go along with that  - big and wide shoes - but the
inserts that comes with running shoes and light boots are pretty poor in
quality, and break down in what seems like hours.

I really noticed the difference in comfort/absence of foot pain when I
started using Viesturs inserts.  The process of putting them in the
oven, heating them up, and then in the shoes and standing around for a
while worked pretty well.

http://www.backcountry.com/sole-ed-viesturs-signature-edition-footbed

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD