[pct-l] Mexico to Palm Springs

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Thu Sep 19 12:24:58 CDT 2013

On 9/19/2013 9:35 AM, Doug Carlson wrote:
> I would appreciate some suggestions on when to hike the section from
> Mexico up to Palm Springs/Hwy 10.

I am going to vote for early May. A lot will have to do with the weather
from one year to the next. South of Hwy 74 can be quite hot at the same
time the San Jacintos are still snowed in.

> What is the earliest one can do this hike?

It depends on the snowpack in the San Jacintos, and what conditions you
are prepared to hike in. Many thrus who start at the border in late
April will wind up road walking around the San Jacintos due to snow.

> And maybe this section isn't even worth doing?

All of the PCT is worth doing.