[pct-l] at the "edge"

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 01:37:24 CDT 2013

OK Diane, you've got to publish the "Low Gear Song" since he's mentioned
it.  And by the way, we would all beat him to the top of the passes in
Glacier NP at our breakneck ultralight hiking speeds, but he would only be
a short way behind.  He got to the top sounding a bit like a steam
locomotive on a steep grade but he'd be carrying 3 times our pack weights.
 We'd be just floored by his physical strength, (the guys got pistons for
legs) and comment on it, but he'd always modestly fire back at us that he
wasn't really very strong, he just had really "low gears."  Hence the name.
 He picked it himself and it was too appropriate not to use.  So then Diane
began writing a song about Low Gear and his hiking antics and well, we all
added a verse or two.  And hell yes he's strong!  Low Gear wasn't the half
of it.

And his food is fantastic!  Yoshihiro's daily soup has ruined me.  I may go
back to carrying a stove for the AT next year just to make it.  The dried
greens he brings over from Japan are far superior to anything I've seen
available in this country, even in the Chinese and Korean markets I shop in
for dried foods.  I'll be checking out Nihon Machi (Japan Town) in San
Francisco, to see if I can find any equivalents in the U.S.

Shroomer