[pct-l] Isobutane Canister Performance

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Wed Sep 11 23:45:59 CDT 2013

I appreciate people chiming in during this discussion of the
performance of isobutane canisters. I have noticed that many thru
hikers have adopted the use of canister stoves over alcohol stoves
this season--even using Jet Boils, which I consider heavy. Fire
restrictions affect the use of alcohol stoves but not canister. I
think the thru hikers chose the canister stoves because they boiled
water faster than alcohol. Ultimately, isobutane may be a better
alternative to an alcohol stove for some backpackers, and that fact
may push some people's buttons.

I am shocked at the reaction of Matt--I was offering my input as a
helpful thing, not as a definitive scientific analysis. I rely more on
experience rather than data to determine my choices in backpacking
gear. I look to  the PCT list serve as a forum for ideas and
insights. Unfortunately, trolls still linger here as on many list
serves.

HYOH,

Fireweed