[pct-l] Shoes for plantar fasciitis

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Sep 11 16:40:35 CDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Joe Waters <joewwaters at earthlink.net> wrote:
> .  After getting off the trail, my doctor recommended a stretch that has worked for me.

As a former PF sufferer, I suggest that there are at least three
different issues here

1)How to continue with the hike with PF.

I suggest taping, like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y61M9VsxIQ0
painting the areas with Tincture Benzoin Compound before putting on
the tape will help a bunch (make sure you get the brown "compound")
http://goo.gl/ZbQrrY

2)How to recover from PF

*Rest, and support the Platar Fascia 100% of the time it is bearing
weight, including showering and getting up in the night to use the
toilet. Using taping like above, or foot beds. I personally found the
Birkenstock Blue Footbed (the cork one, not the soft one) to be really
helpful
*Don't stretch it till it heals and doesn't hurt anymore
*Night Splints http://goo.gl/SKbQQ3 - I never used them but some folks
say they help.

3)How to prevent a recurrence.
Strengthen and stretch