[pct-l] Shoes for plantar fasciitis

Joe Waters joewwaters at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 11 15:51:57 CDT 2013

Kristin,

I had a severe case of plantar fasciitis last year.  After getting off the trail, my doctor recommended a stretch that has worked for me.  I routinely did the stretch this year on the trail (with the same type of shoes - Inov8 XTalon 212 trail runners - as last year) and had no plantar fasciitis problems.  The stretch I use is:

Sit on the ground with both legs unbent, flat on the ground, and extended straight out in front of you.  Lean forward and grab your toes on each foot with each hand.  Pull back on your hands as far as you can, and feel the stretch throughout the bottom of your foot, including your heels.  I hold this stretch for about 30 seconds at a time.

But you probably should check with your podiatrist before doing this stretch, in case doing it exacerbates your plantar fascial tear.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

- Blue Feather