[pct-l] Facing the wet North - tarp advice

b j xthrow at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 10 13:35:58 CDT 2013

Hello O Wise Ones!

I'm hiking the PCT this year and I'm at Highway 242 / McKenzie Pass in the middle of Oregon.  I'm targeting to be done and in Canada by mid-October or a few days later.  I'm reconsidering my gear for the possible sideways rain / sleet / snow [gulp] storms that might come my way as I head further North and further into the Fall.

I have a ZPacks Hexamid Solo Plus shelter for myself and am considering also getting a tarp.  Imagine this.. pouring rain, whip out your tarp and set it up, unpack your pack under your tarp darting out here and there to set up the shelter, cooking under the tarp, repacking, everything really under the tarp.  Here are the questions I'm contemplating which I'd love to hear your thoughts on:

1) What tarp (durable and light and not too pricey)?

2) Should I ditch the Hexamid and just go tarp and bivy for shelter if I'm going to have a tarp anyways?

3) How big a tarp?  a) To do everything but sleep under, and  b) to do everything AND sleep under

4) Am I being a wussie for wanting a tarp?

5) What other things should I consider gearwise / systemwise / strategywise for the possible upcoming ugly weather

Also, I'm contemplating a pack cover to keep the pack (ULA Circuit) from getting sopped inside and out.  Again, I'd love your input on these questions:

6) What pack cover (durable, light, not too pricey)?

7) Other strategies besides a pack cover?

As I'm hiking the trail, I will only have email access sporadically and so there may be a delay in my response -- also it will be easier to identify your responses if you copy this email address in your reply to the listserv.

Thank you!!!  Wish me luck -- I so want to finish!!

-Rhiannon / Porsche