[pct-l] Foreign Hiker - 2 questions and SPOT Connect

lilacs007 at yahoo.com lilacs007 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 8 11:20:31 CDT 2013

Well now I'm even more confused!

All AT&T customers in the USA had to either get brand new phones (at deep discount) to switch to Sprint (due to this GSM/CDMA stuff)
Or AT&T gave them other options for GSM carriers, so that their phones would work.

My parents just ran into this issue where they had to trade in brand new phones.

I was also on a CDMA network and couldn't switch to TMobile (GSM) unless I purchased a new phone, even unlocked CDMA phones wouldn't work. But it could be an unlocked GSM phone.

This may be a USA issue only because from my understanding from travelling outside the US most of the world is running on GSM.

I would look at the US AT&T website and see what they are saying regarding the issue just to be safe.

But if AT&T made all of their USA customers switch to CDMA and get brand new phones I don't know how that would work for international people. I mean why would they risk losing millions on telling people to use their phones on other competitor networks if the phones would work?

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile