[pct-l] Foreign Hiker - 2 questions and SPOT Connect

Melissa Cappetti melissa.cappetti at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 12:39:51 CDT 2013

My boyfriend and I just started using the Delorme Inreach SE to communicate
more frequently when I had to get off the trail due to foot injuries. I
LOVE the Delorme. You are correct that sometimes there is a delay in
sending/receiving messages when in canyons but for the most part it works
brilliantly. I am so happy we have this now. We got the plan with 120
custom texts per month and we are using all of those texts (25cents for
each text over that cap). We did our research and from what we could tell
the Delorme was better than the Spot in terms of 2 way communication.

One bug we have found though is that twice the device has sent one of the
canned messages when my boyfriend did not initiate it. I got the email but
he did not send the message. Nor did it show up in his history of sent
messages. It was very strange...he reported this to Delorme so hopefully
they are looking into it. It was a good thing the canned messages was not
"Send Help!". That could have been a disaster.

Our 3 canned messages are:
1) Starting my hike for the day
2) Checking in, everything is okay
3) Camping here for the night, everything ok

#2 and #3 were each sent randomly once to me without him touching his
device. I'm guessing this is some kind of bug.

We use the custom text option quite frequently to communicate resupply
needs and sometimes I send him information on fire conditions, weather, and
accommodations. I did come out to the trail to do a little magic for him
and the device helped us coordinate location and timing perfectly. I can't
say enough good things about it.

Also, Delorme provides me with a map where I can actually track his
physical location. He has his device tracking feature set to every 30mins
so I can see where he is. I'm not stalking him by all means but it's nice
to check in one in a while.

Some of you may think this is overkill and don't want to be connected like
this but I find peace of mind with it and I've been a more efficient
resupply person for him. Plus his Mom gets his canned messages as well and
she is happy to be informed. It helps her sleep well :-)

+1 for Delorme Inreach SE!

Cheers,
Near Miss