[pct-l] Mountain Bikes

JPL jplynch at crosslink.net
Tue Oct 29 17:54:05 CDT 2013

Very good!  Gotta report this stuff....

-----Original Message-----
From: John Coyle
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:28 PM
To: 'pct-l at backcountry.net'
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Mountain Bikes

Has anyone actually seen a Forest Service ranger issue a citation to a
mountain biker anywhere along the PCT within the last 10 years? Has anyone
seen a Forest Service ranger anywhere along the PCT within the last 10
years? I have never even seen a Forest Service ranger on the PCT in the last
10 years of hiking on or near the PCT in the Lake Tahoe area.

I usually say something to mountain bikers I encounter along the PCT.  Most
of them are reasonable, but a few have gotten belligerent, and a few have
flipped me off as they bombed by at 20 mph.  Isn't it grand to have to jump
out of the way of mountain bikes on a trail they're not supposed to be on in
the first place? Three years ago I encountered two motorcycles on the PCT
near Mt. Judah. It's getting out of hand. From now on I'm also taking
pictures and sending them to the Forest Service per Brick.