[pct-l] Mountain Bikes

John Coyle jcoyle at sanjuan.edu
Tue Oct 29 11:28:01 CDT 2013

Has anyone actually seen a Forest Service ranger issue a citation to a mountain biker anywhere along the PCT within the last 10 years? Has anyone seen a Forest Service ranger anywhere along the PCT within the last 10 years? I have never even seen a Forest Service ranger on the PCT in the last 10 years of hiking on or near the PCT in the Lake Tahoe area.

I usually say something to mountain bikers I encounter along the PCT.  Most of them are reasonable, but a few have gotten belligerent, and a few have flipped me off as they bombed by at 20 mph.  Isn't it grand to have to jump out of the way of mountain bikes on a trail they're not supposed to be on in the first place? Three years ago I encountered two motorcycles on the PCT near Mt. Judah. It's getting out of hand. From now on I'm also taking pictures and sending them to the Forest Service per Brick.