[pct-l] Resupply Strategies

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 20:06:30 CST 2013

When I was initially planning the whole resupply thing was so
difficult to work out. Back then we all used the Wilderness Press
books and the trail is divided into sections in the book. I figured I
would just resupply at the end of each section unless the section
ended somewhere with a long hitchhike. I didn't think I would do the
hitchhiking.

Well, turned out the best strategy seemed to be to do the resupplies
wherever there was the best town. Sometimes this was in the middle of
a section. Another best strategy was to resupply wherever there was
anywhere to buy food at all. That way you don't have to carry very
much plus you get a big hot meal more frequently. In the end, a
combination of this became my strategy. Resupply wherever there was
the best town, use that town to resupply myself for towns up the
trail that didn't have good shopping by buying extra and mailing it.
And when I got to these little towns, supplement whatever I sent
myself with candy bars and convenience store stuff. It's a waste of
money to mail stuff you can get in a gas station.

And the hitchhiking was fun, not a problem at all.