[pct-l] USFS response to bicycle prohibition on the PCT - 11.25.13

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Nov 26 20:05:55 CST 2013

"The primary uses for the PCT were determined by the PCT Comprehensive
Management Plan (CMP) and are also found in 36 C.F.R. § 212.21,
which states that the PCT is to be used "primarily as a footpath and
horseback riding trail. Our research documents a legislative and
administrative intent that only hiking and equestrian use were to be
permitted on the PCT.  There is no evidence that bicycle use has ever been
allowed on the PCT."
~~~
finally a forest service bureaucrat made a decision after years of pointless
debate about bikes on the PCT...duh! The PCT was legislated by Congress as a
foot path in 1968!   It's the law.  I commend his stance, and I expect him
to support it by enforcement.  Now, we'll just have to see how Randy
enforces his words with action!  When appropriate, remind any and all bikers
on the PCT that they are breaking the law, and have no right to ride the
PCT!