[pct-l] Base weight criteria, AND...

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 20:32:58 CST 2013

As a Wolverine I'd be glad to do so.  My observation is that the vast majority, by the time they have purchased their gear, form an emotional attachment to both their reasoning and the gear itself.  The hike from Campo to ADZPCTKO serves as a warning, but still suggestions and recommendations at that stage are best made in thoughtful way.

Many have financial constraints as well. Really what you carry will reflect to an extent what you value. The biggest areas here, again in my experience, are sleeping pads and tents.

My personal gear at the moment has a Z-Packs twin tent (volume allowing reduction in condensation although it departs from the wind shedding capability of a more conical design) 13 oz.
The original question was posed at the most opportune time in the overall process.
I have three begs, a Western Mountaineering 30* and a Marmot Helium. However, I have a Z-Packs 20* that I have taken on a shakedown and I like it a lot and it compares favorably with WM for weight. 18-20oz.

Pack, I can't let go of my MLD Exodus. 15 oz. They don't make it anymore. I also use a GG 1/8 inch pad under a neoair and also as a sit pad. When it gets cold you'll want a full length Neoair, otherwise a short version. 10-14 oz. I use Esbits, with a 1/2 oz titanium pot stand and add a windscreen. One tablet is good for a two half liter boils. Get a titanium kettle that is close to a liter. It helps if you wind up boiling water to fill a water bottle for your bag if you hit real cold. The heat will last practically till morning.
 The weights are according to my memory

Sent from my iPad