[pct-l] Sierra Snow Report & Getting into PCT thru-hiking shape

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Mar 19 03:32:40 CDT 2013

Hi gang,
Trouble is back in town.
Just got back from another extended Sierra skiing expedition.
This has been # 4 so far this year and will not be the last.

Funny thing, we ran into some USMC cold weather training instructors
from the
USMC cold weather training base in the Sierra near Bridgeport, honing their
skiing skills.....it brought back a lot of memories.
I went through the USMC cold weather training in the Sierra during the
1964-65
winter......almost froze to death.
Keeping the troops comfortable is never high on the USMC list of priorities.
SURVIVAL....is the name of the game....SURVIVE BABY......JUST SURVIVE!!!
We survived....but barely.

Well anyhow, the snow level in the Sierra is still way below average for
this time
of the year and it looks like this will be another low snow year
This, of course, is bad news for ski bums like me but good news for
"Hiker Trash"
like you.

BTW,...in case you guys don't know that,...skiing is a great way to keep
those legs
in shape during the off-hiking season.
You will be surprised how rubbery your legs feel after a week of high
powered skiing.

But to those of you who don't ski or don't have the time to ski, but are
desperate to
get into PCT thru-hiker shape in time for the KO, I would like to share
with you my
"Top Secret"....how to get into JMT record breaking shape in time for
the KO.

OK,....here is what you do.....
Sit down on your favorite couch until you feel a distinct calorie urge.
Then, at a very fast pace, walk to the refrigerator, open the door and
down one of
your favorite beers.
Close the frig-door and then, again at a very fast pace, walk back to
the couch.
Sit down and wait for the next distinct calorie urge.
Repeat the above until you are in thru-hiking shape.

Good luck on your hike and remember you learned this from JMT Reinhold.

Well, got to go now,...I'm in training and feel that distinct calorie urge.

JMT Reinhold
The couch to frig record holder