[pct-l] Cottonwood Pass and the JMT

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Tue Mar 19 07:53:54 CDT 2013

 It takes about a half hour +/- to drive to Lone Pine from Horseshoe Meadows (Cottonwood Pass). Horseshoe is a popular trailhead, so you might have a good chance of snagging a ride. It's much easier to get a permit from Horseshoe than trying to start at Whitney Portal.

You might want to have him meet you there.

Bear in mind that for someone in good condition, who doesn't have 700 miles of hiking behind him, 12 miles per day in the Sierra, even without snow, is a pretty big day considering the passes you'll be crossing. Bring extra money, if it's open spend a night at Muir Trail Ranch. It's expensive, but mind boggling good.

It's a magnificent section. Good luck.

Oh, and for efficiency sakes, make sure you have the dog carry the weed, boombox and gun. :-)

Gary