[pct-l] Plantar Fasciitis and KT Tape

Tom Holz tom.holz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 13:56:05 CST 2013

What Shroomer said.  My poison was shin splints and metatarsal pain, and by making changes similar to Shroomer, I avoided them completely on my PCT thru hike in 2010.

Your body adapts to strengthen or atrophy based on the demands placed on it, but too much stress too quickly, or too much accumulated over time increases the chance of an injury.  The buildup of stress is driven by time hiking, your speed, the weight you carry, and the efficiency of your gait.  The rate your body recovers is controlled by nutrition, hydration, and rest.  Some of these variables you minimize before your hike (e.g. total weight on your feet or maximum gait efficiency), but other knobs you can control on a daily or minute-by-minute basis, like speed and rest.  As you become familiar with your body, you can adapt your hiking as needed to make progress without hiking yourself off the trail.

Gear can be swapped out on a hike, your legs cannot.

There's no single approach that works for everybody--shoes, gait, gear, speed.  The goal is to find solutions that work for you when you need them, on your hike, with your gear, using your body--and you get there by learning, thinking, and adapting.

Bigfoot