[pct-l] Navigation 'kit' options

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 23:39:33 CST 2013

If you are not planning to carry a cell phone don't get one just for this
trip/navigation.

Half-miles maps and a compass are fine.

Even if you have a cell phone I would carry the printed half-mile maps.

If I was doing it again - I would take:

half miles maps
yogi's guide (the on trail portion)
Water report (just for So. Cal.)
my cheap ass compass

If (big if) the Sierras were completely snow covered when I got there I
would consider a GPS or hiking with a group that had a gps for this section.
If the Sierra's are under heavy snow - the hikers will be going out from
Kennedy Meadows in groups anyway.

When I did it I used the Wilderness press maps - which are way less
detailed than half-mile's maps.

You wont have to even start thinking about a possible GPS in the Sierra's
until Agua Dulce.  By then you will have an idea of the snow levels and
access to LA to pick one up if needed (or access to order one online).

Day-Late (who only got confused a few time with less than the recomended
above)