[pct-l] Plantar Fasciitis?

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Tue Mar 5 12:12:47 CST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Brittany Nunnink <bnunnink at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've spoken with friends, doctors, and
> PT's and the treatment I know is rest, ice, heat, stretch, and massage --
> all of which I'm doing, but I hear this can take many months, and I'm
> nervous if it's not 100% healed before I go, has anyone heard of
> thru-hikers doing this with plantar's fasciitis, or is it guaranteed to put
> a stop to this big walk?

the solution for me was a 2 step process:

1) let it heal. This involves:
*Frequent massage (I like this
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/SUR103/v )
*Ice Massage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACUqui7L6EI
*Support, 100% of the time while you are standing on the foot, with
tape and/or foot beds. This includes in the shower, and getting up in
the night to pee. This is the taping method I used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z2XlqsuQSY Every time you step on it
and have pain, you are reinjuring it.
*night splints are also recommended, though I did not use one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsefMtyEEDg
*DO NOT* stretch the area, or put weight on an unsupported foot while
there is any pain

2)once you are pain free
*strengthen the are by barefoot walking and/or running, starting with
very small sessions
*stretch.