[pct-l] Long distance hiking preparedness

Tom Holz tom.holz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 20:19:30 CST 2013

That's a very good article, and I would add that you should be conscious about your gait while you are training--hopefully your PT has already evaluated the way your walk and run, but you can do it yourself too by reading one of the recent books on barefoot running that contain practical tips for making your movement more efficient.  Many people don't have a problem with their regular walking gait, but if you do, bad movement leads to stress and a greater chance of overuse injuries--and the foot and knee pain you describe might be symptoms of bad movement that could turn into pain or injury on the trail

My gait was giving me shin splints and foot pain, and my PT pointed this out 3 weeks before I started the PCT in 2010.  I read Chi Running based on his recommendation and adopted their style as my hiking gait for my thru hike.  Because I had zero training or conditioning, I started slow, but it was like night and day for me--not hiking in pain with ibuprofen is nice, I must say.

Good luck!

Bigfoot