[pct-l] Long distance hiking preparedness

nbonazzoli at gmail.com nbonazzoli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 19:00:02 CST 2013

I've come across what I think is a fabulous article, complete with
feedback, on ideas for preparing for long distance hiking. I'd be
curious as to any additional insights any of you might be able to
offer. I'm currently training to hike the Oregon portion of the PCT
beginning in August. I'm up to 5 miles/day walking, at about a 17 min
mile pace, in a very hilly location. My major issue is my feet, as I
have multiple neuromas as well as plantar fasciitis, both of which I
am doing my best to work with, as well as regular physical therapy.
Yesterday I experienced some knee pain in one knee after the walk, so
am taking a few rest days. I am currently walking about 4x/week, and
try to more as my feet will allow. I am also doing some treadmill
training with a pack on, and incline set.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?13696-Physical-Preparations-for-Long-Distance-Hiking

Care to share your preparedness tips?

Thanks!

Mystic Forest (Nancy)