[pct-l] Euroshim swing--has anyone used hands free?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Mar 2 19:29:52 CST 2013

How I did it is with shock cord and cord locks.

One attachment point was put on my left shoulder strap. The shock
cord was simply tied to the left shoulder strap around that nylon
webbing that they put on there for your bladder hose. It was placed
high on my shoulder. The cord lock was added after tying it to the
webbing. Then I could slip the umbrella through the cord and pull it
really tight with the cord lock. There was a second cord lock around
the region of the sternum strap, also on the left shoulder. I figured
two cords should hold it, but no, that wasn't enough. So after I'd
put it on with the cord locks, I'd then take the excess webbing from
my waist strap and tie it to the little strap that the umbrella has
at the end of its handle. Then it was secure.

I could hike with my trekking poles and the umbrella was completely
secure. In high winds I would have to hold the front with my hands. A
few times the winds were strong enough to flip the umbrella inside
out, but these umbrellas flip right back again. They don't break.

It is a pain to get out of your pack with the umbrella on. And it's
also a pain to stop and get your umbrella out and put it all
together. I ended up figuring a way that I could easily reach around
and get the umbrella and attach it while still walking. I always had
to stop to put it away, however, which was annoying. I learned how to
take off my pack with the umbrella attached and put it back on with
it still attached. This is not easy. I also made a thing so I could
pee standing up. With my umbrella and my pee thingie I was pretty happy.

I found mine in the trash. You can't get any cheaper than that. It
lasted me from Kennedy Meadows where I found it to Cananda. I have a
new one now.

Here's a picture, but not really close enough to see the assembly.
http://tinyurl.com/aseamjx
Another pic, different pack, but I pushed the umbrella back and it's
blurry.
http://tinyurl.com/aslkdbx