[pct-l] Northern half of Washington

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Mon Jun 17 17:14:10 CDT 2013

Rain is a fact of life in Washington.  In general it does not rain much through July and August and even into early Sept.  But you cannot count on that.  And if it does rain on you in the mountains then it will be cold.  Starting at the end of August and going for three weeks you should expect at least some rain, and possibly 3 weeks worth.  Bringing along good rain gear would make life much easier when it does rain.
By late August the snow should be pretty much gone.  You will likely not encounter any bears, so leave the bear can at home and hang your food or use an Ursack.

You will need a permit to camp in the North Cascades National Park between Stehekin and Rainy Pass.  But you could easily hike through it in a day with no need for camping.  Wilderness areas (there are a few) have a self registration areas as you enter and should be no problem.
I recommend a hammock & tarp as well.  Plenty of trees to hang from, much more comfortable, and up out of any muck that develops when it rains.

Ed Jarrett Blog: http://aclayjar.blogspot.com/  Twitter: https://twitter.com/EdJarrett53 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ed.jarrett.71