[pct-l] Northern half of Washington

Carol museumgirl at me.com
Mon Jun 17 16:49:19 CDT 2013

On Jun 17, 2013, at 4:22 PM, Scott Williams <baidarker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> From Goat Rocks north is my favorite part of WA.  It's so beautiful I
> re-hiked the section from White Pass to Manning the year after completing
> my thru hike.  That just misses Goat Rocks, but we only had 3 weeks and at
> a leisurely pace that was fine for us.  So, 2 1/2 to 3 weeks from
> Snoqualmie to Manning is even easier.  That should be no problem at all.
> It's a great shot through some of the most beautiful mountains on the PCT,
> Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Dolly Vista, Glacier Peak and on and on.  You
> could do Goat Rocks next time.  Starting at Snoqualmie you'll miss the
> great views of Rainier, but put that on for the next trip.  The further
> south you go from Goat Rocks the less interesting the trail in my memory.
> It's beautiful, but it gets much better further north.
>
> As for rain, figure on it.  In 2010 it rained from late August till we
> crossed into Canada in mid September, but in 2011, same time of year, it
> rained only once or twice.  Every year is different, but it's not a gamble
> worth losing, bring your rain gear.
>
> I've only used single walled tents on Rainier, WA PCT, West Coast Trail
> (Vancouver Island) and other really wet places and they do fine.  Even
> double walled tents get condensation, you've just got a membrane separating
> you from it.  So in a single walled tent, don't touch the sides and be a
> little more careful, but they've always worked just fine.  With two people
> I use the ZPacks Double Hexamid or for more room, the Six Moon Lunar Duo.
> I really like them both.

Or use an ultralight hammock and tarp and sleep above any mud and puddles that may gather. You'll certainly have enough trees! I am currently planning to use a DIY double-layer hammock (so I can slip a sleeping pad between the layers for insulation,) a bug net, and a sinylon tarp when I hike the PCT in '15.

Just a thought.
Muse