[pct-l] Northern half of Washington

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 16:22:35 CDT 2013

>From Goat Rocks north is my favorite part of WA.  It's so beautiful I
re-hiked the section from White Pass to Manning the year after completing
my thru hike.  That just misses Goat Rocks, but we only had 3 weeks and at
a leisurely pace that was fine for us.  So, 2 1/2 to 3 weeks from
Snoqualmie to Manning is even easier.  That should be no problem at all.
 It's a great shot through some of the most beautiful mountains on the PCT,
Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Dolly Vista, Glacier Peak and on and on.  You
could do Goat Rocks next time.  Starting at Snoqualmie you'll miss the
great views of Rainier, but put that on for the next trip.  The further
south you go from Goat Rocks the less interesting the trail in my memory.
 It's beautiful, but it gets much better further north.

As for rain, figure on it.  In 2010 it rained from late August till we
crossed into Canada in mid September, but in 2011, same time of year, it
rained only once or twice.  Every year is different, but it's not a gamble
worth losing, bring your rain gear.

I've only used single walled tents on Rainier, WA PCT, West Coast Trail
(Vancouver Island) and other really wet places and they do fine.  Even
double walled tents get condensation, you've just got a membrane separating
you from it.  So in a single walled tent, don't touch the sides and be a
little more careful, but they've always worked just fine.  With two people
I use the ZPacks Double Hexamid or for more room, the Six Moon Lunar Duo.
 I really like them both.

You won't need cramps or ice axe as you probably won't encounter any snow
at all.  If you do, cross it in the afternoon when it's soft and be
careful.  But you shouldn't see any serious patches on trail.

Good Luck and have a wonderful hike.

Shroomer