[pct-l] REI changes return policy to return before 1 year

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Tue Jun 4 14:03:35 CDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Dan Jacobs <youroldpaldan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you read the article? An REI executive stated they will deal with
> returns on defective products in a responsible manner, even if the defect
> shows up after one year.

Yes I read the article. Did you read what I wrote?

I have no problem with REI changing the contract. I think a one year
return policy is completely reasonable.

>The policy is in place because it was being abused
>by people

I was answering the question as to why people would do that, look at
the portion of the message that I quoted.

According to our current American business practices, the customers
were not abusing anything. The thing that you call "abuse" is what,
for example, a Wall Street firm would call "taking full advantage of
the contract" that REI offered. To do any less is simply "bad
business" for people of this ilk.

I don't like that attitude, whether it be displayed by a business, or
a customer, but it is what it is.