[pct-l] REI changes return policy to return before 1 year

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 13:46:34 CDT 2013

On Jun 4, 2013 11:34 AM, "Brick Robbins" <brick at brickrobbins.com> wrote:

> Here is my soapbox.
>
> They are doing it because that is the capitalist way. You take full
> legal advantage of your contract and the laws. To do anything else is
> simply bad business.
>
> I don't agree with it, but it is our American Business culture.....

Did you read the article? An REI executive stated they will deal with
returns on defective products in a responsible manner, even if the defect
shows up after one year. The policy is in place because it was being abused
by people bringing in items that had been enjoyed as intended and simply
written out past usability, or as some Wolff say, they had gotten their
money's worth. Is it fair to allow yourself and the part of your membership
that is honest and ethical to be abused because some people are greedy?

No, it's not.

I hope disagreeing with the new REI policy in this way doesn't somehow
expose the ethics of some people in an unflattering way.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal