[pct-l] Schroomer: Desert Section Water Thoughts During a Drought Year in Fall

Ken Marlow pcthiker at cox.net
Fri Jul 12 00:02:32 CDT 2013

Hi Schroomer,
   With as many thru-hikes you've accomplished and in particular sobo and traveling in the Southern California desert section in fall, have you experienced the PCT, during fall during a drought year? I thru-hiked back in '82 and now my wife and I are section hiking. We're considering paying our dues and getting the Transverse Range/Desert Section knocked out this fall, from Coon Creek Jump-off / East end of San Bernardino N.F, doing 200-250 miles in about 2 1/2 weeks.

Obviously we don't cover as much ground as you do but trying to get an idea. If its easier to talk over the phone or off-list, I'd be glad to exchange contact info. The more detailed the better, without being too cumbersome for you. If So Cal doesn't seem to be realistic water-wise this fall, we'll resume from Mt. Lassen north.

We met you north of Donner Pass a couple or so years ago, were the couple that fixed you up with some Jolly Ranchers and felt bad taking up your time on a record-breaking attempt.

Sincerely,
   Ken & Debbie Marlow