[pct-l] NPR - What Do You Pack For A Seven-Year Trip?

Devon Taig devon.taig at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 12:26:59 CST 2013

I imagine a lot of folks heard the NPR story this morning about Paul
Salopek.  He is about to embark on a seven year 21,000 mile walk from the
Middle East to Patagonia.  Looks like he'll be near if not exactly on the
PCT in a few years. It's a pretty cool story, and if you haven't heard it,
give it a listen:

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/10/168961210/what-do-you-pack-for-a-seven-year-trip

What really struck me in the story was when asked why he was wanting to
begin such a walk. His response, "... to understand the connective tissue
of all the major stories of our day" Just made me think of what I find so
enjoyable about backpacking in general and a long and diverse trail like
the PCT in particular.  A walking journey on the PCT, unlike a journey
involving a car or a plane, truly connects one to all the land, the people,
and the stories along the way.

River