[pct-l] Ray Day

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Jan 6 13:29:17 CST 2013

Wow, Miner, that's some really interesting info.

I have the Ray Jardine PCT Handbook and I also have an old National
Geographic book on the PCT. In the Nat Geo book there are photos of
hiking the Sierras in May. It always looked like something I did not
want to do.

I chose my own start date using Ray's book's 5 month itinerary. I
started April 30 even though the itinerary had May 2 as the start
date. When I got to the border on the afternoon of the 30th I
figured, what the heck. Let's go! I also only planned to hike
California, not the whole thing. That National Geographic book made
it look like the PNW was a lot of rain and cold. Yeah, I used old
books for my planning, not all these newer internet resources.

If anybody is curious, here are the start and end dates:

4 month itinerary: May 11 - Sep 10. KM Jun 15.
4.25: May 9 - Sep 15. KM Jun 15.
4.5: May 7 - Sep 21. KM Jun 15.
4.75: May 4 - Sep 26. KM Jun 15.
5: May 2 - Oct 1. KM Jun 15.

Southbound itineraries started Jun 15 with no meet-up in KM.

There's a great trail journal from the Funk Brothers from 1975. Back
then people would wallow in the snow all through So Cal. Things were
different back then, that's for sure.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5051

A fun thing for me on my 2nd hike was I met a few 1975 and 1977 thru-
hikers up in Washington out on the trail. After having done this
trail with so much internet support plus the support of the larger
trail community I stood in awe of these people who did it back then
when it was less popular and populated. It made me happy to see that
they were still doing it all these years later, too. That's why I
keep hiking the trail even if only a little bit each year. It becomes
a part of you, home.